Principal Network Engineer
- Deploy, manage and maintain company LANs, WANs, Telecommunications, VOIP, Security and wireless networks, which include servers, routers, hubs, switches, firewalls, PBX equipment, IPS/IPD and other hardware.
- Configure networks to ensure their smooth and reliable operation for fulfilling business objectives and processes. Define and provide direction to our managed service providers (e.g. Synoptek, Telecom Carriers, Cabling, Build outs & MAC vendors) consistent with best practices.
- Monitor network performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed.
- Collaborate with other infrastructure engineering personnel to assess near- and long-term network capacity needs.
- Create and maintain documentation related to network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records.
- Implement and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for network administration and usage.
- Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry and provide solution recommendations as needed to meet business or application needs.
- Practice network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation.
- Monitor/test network performance and provide network performance metric reports.
- Oversee new and existing equipment, hardware, and software upgrades.
- Coordinate the establishment of processes, procedures and documentation to insure 7 x 24 availability of local/wide area network.
- Assess impact of new versions of network operating systems and equipment and make recommendations for deployment.
- Insure that appropriate network security measures are in place to protect corporate assets.
- Interface with UNIX and Windows engineering personnel as necessary to achieve required connectivity and performance.
- Working outside of normal hours should be expected along with providing on-call support coverage.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent and a minimum of 10+ years of networking experience. Industry network certifications required or equivalent related experience with illustrated track record.
- Detailed knowledge of cabling standards, TCP/IP, VLANS and routing protocols along with troubleshooting techniques with network management software which includes the ability to analyze packet captures and provide expert diagnostic feedback.
- Demonstrated experience with successful LAN, WAN, WLAN and WWAN design and implementation as well as experience with network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices.
- Demonstrated ability in managing internal junior staff, vendors and service providers.
- Strong knowledge of network equipment, including Cisco routers and switches, Firewalls, Site-to-Site VPN, and SSL remote access required. Specific experience and strong technical knowledge working with Cisco Catalyst 9300/6509/4510/4000, Cisco routers, Juniper & F5 products (Netscreen, WAF, Load Balancers & TLS remote access) and Observer preferred
- Demonstrated management experience of PBX and VOIP systems (Definity PBX or VOIP is a plus).
- Competence with testing tools and procedures for voice and data circuits.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills and be highly self motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail & customer focus
- Able to conduct research into networking issues as required with proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to manage and guide junior staff for optimal service delivery. Able to effectively prioritize tasks in a high-pressure environment with strong customer service orientation and experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Vicor is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability.
Vicor endeavors to make the careers page accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Human Resources at 978-470-2900. Or email us to firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of Human Resources will be in touch with you. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Vicor Corporation designs, manufactures and markets innovative, high performance modular power components, from bricks to semiconductor-centric solutions, to enable customers to efficiently convert and manage power from the wall plug to the point-of-load. Complementing an extensive portfolio of patented innovations in power conversion and power distribution with significant application development expertise, Vicor offers comprehensive product lines addressing a broad range of power conversion and management requirements across all power distribution architectures, including CPA, DPA, IBA, FPA and CBA. Vicor focuses on solutions for performance-critical applications in the following markets: enterprise and high performance computing, telecommunications and network infrastructure, industrial equipment and automation, vehicles and transportation and aerospace and defense electronics.Start Application