Sr. Systems Design Engineer (4924)
An opportunity to join a team of world class engineers in the creation of a comprehensive portfolio of leading edge products and solutions. This position provides direct exposure to new products and technologies, with opportunities to innovate and mature ground breaking solutions that represent the state of the art in power conversion. We are seeking individuals with creativity, talent, experience and a drive for success in a collaborative work environment. This is an ideal opportunity for someone who has strong analytical and problem solving skills, good educational background in electrical engineering, and experience designing power supplies or designing with power components. There are many opportunities to advance and increase responsibilities in Applications Engineering in support of growing product lines.
The Sr. Systems Design Engineer is directly responsible for the creation of reference designs for customer specific Voltage Regulator (VR) systems, as well as the creation of simulation models, application notes, test boards, datasheets, and expert tools. The Sr. Systems Design Engineer is also a key contributor to the qualification of new products and systems. Finally there are opportunities to collaborate directly with key customers and industry leaders in defining and architecting industry leading power conversion solutions.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Working independently and with other members of the team on various projects designing VR systems.
- Architecting complete systems based on customer requirements, creating reference designs and working with the customer on design-in, bring-up and validation of their system.
- Write complete specifications based on customer requirements and work closely with the Design Engineering organization to insure that the specification is translated into a product that will meet the original customer requirement
- Designing, simulating, prototyping, testing, and optimizing custom circuitry with Advanced products.
- Conducting bench testing of new products at a system level.
- Development of reference design and evaluation printed circuit boards.
- Supporting corporate New Product Introduction (NPI) efforts.
- Troubleshooting and optimizing customer systems which use Vicor Advanced products.
- Demonstrating system solutions and prototypes in front of the customer.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or equivalent (MSEE a plus)
- Contact or experience with Blue Chip or Tier 1 VR customers desired.
- 5+ years experience in Power Electronics Design, Product Development, or Applications Engineering.
- Excellent understanding of analog design and an analytical approach to engineering required.
- Familiarity with feedback and other control systems.
- Familiarity with Intel VR specifications for CPU core or Memory a plus.
- Troubleshooting skills with basic power systems a plus.
- Familiarity with modeling and design tools such as Simulink MATLAB, Altium, SPICE, Simplis, and Simetrix.
- Comfortable with lab equipment used in the characterization and design of power supplies and systems (oscilloscopes, DMMs, Network Analyzers, EMI analyzers, loads, sources, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfortable presenting at a very technical level in front of customers.
- Some understanding of Electromagnetic Interference (EMI), digital (e.g. PIC microcontroller) design, and simulation tools a plus.
- Familiarity Altium or other CAD tools; Excel, Power Point, Word, and other office tools.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Vicor is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability.
Vicor endeavors to make the careers page accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Human Resources at 978-470-2900. Or email us to email@example.com and a member of Human Resources will be in touch with you. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Vicor Corporation designs, manufactures and markets innovative, high performance modular power components, from bricks to semiconductor-centric solutions, to enable customers to efficiently convert and manage power from the wall plug to the point-of-load. Complementing an extensive portfolio of patented innovations in power conversion and power distribution with significant application development expertise, Vicor offers comprehensive product lines addressing a broad range of power conversion and management requirements across all power distribution architectures, including CPA, DPA, IBA, FPA and CBA. Vicor focuses on solutions for performance-critical applications in the following markets: enterprise and high performance computing, telecommunications and network infrastructure, industrial equipment and automation, vehicles and transportation and aerospace and defense electronics.Start Application