Sr. NPI Manufacturing Engineer
Sr. NPI Manufacturing Engineer
Senior Engineer working in a team environment on the most advanced Vicor products starting at development stage, working through qualification activities, and finally culminating with production release of full electronic assemblies of commercial, automotive, military, space and other specialty product applications.
As a NPI Manufacturing Engineer, you will be responsible for taking Vicor advanced products through various stages of new product introduction (NPI) development by working cross functionally across multiple teams. In addition to early involvement with product design team on design for manufacturability, you will also be evaluating manufacturing processes by designing and conducting research programs. You will be given the opportunity to apply knowledge of product design, fabrication, assembly, tooling, and materials selection and confirming manufacturing capabilities with manufacturing engineering staff as related to equipment and vendor support.
- Will work NPI projects that are designed and built using our in-house highly automated lines which utilize technologies such as multi-layer, high density PCB designs, leading edge SMT assembly, advanced packaging magnetics assembly, thermal transfer molding, state of the art package plating fabrication, laser marking, singulation, and test.
- Will work closely with Mechanical and PCB layout groups. Participate early on in product development design reviews by providing feedback on manufacturability and helping to incorporate latest technology advancements and design rules.
- Will develop approaches and plans for assembling and completing new products builds, working closely with the Manufacturing Engineering and Process Engineering teams on what is needed to execute the new design builds.
- Propose and manage design of experiments to develop and verify process improvements while identifying and developing new processes and equipment required for successful introduction of new products.
- Interfaces with Quality, Reliability, and Analytical testing lab for NPI efforts. Investigate problems, determine root cause, and implement corrective and preventative actions
- Working knowledge and use of SPC data to ensure the highest yields, throughput, and lowest cost. Team will be using Six Sigma tools such as PFMEAs to implement meaningful process controls.
- Writes technical reports and prepares presentations for peer review covering process development activities and next generation processing methods to supporting technologies that our customers use in application such as cloud servers, autonomous vehicles, military and industrial equipment.
- Supports the organizational goal of Automotive Readiness in preparation for IATF 16949 Certification.
- Initiate and approve manufacturing documentation and ECO’s
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical, Chemical, Materials Science, Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering. Master’s degree is a plus.
- 5-10 years’ experience with electronics packaging and/or a similar manufacturing environment.
- Strong fundamental knowledge and ability to analyze high volume, high density SMT processes. Skills include sound understanding of Solder Stencil Printing, Pick and Place, SPI, AOI, reflow and PCB cleaning.
- As an NPI engineer, familiarity with PCB reviews tools such as Altium or GC-CAM EDIT as aids for providing feedback on PCB designs are desirable. OJT training is available for candidate.
- Basic abilities using design based software systems for review and small modifications. Examples include Solid Works or Auto CAD.
- Experience with the Automotive Requirements such as IATF 16949 Certification, PPAP, BIQ, FTQ is considered a plus.
- Familiarity with advanced packaging and processing strategies for system in a package devices (SIP) incorporating high layer count laminate (PCB) and ceramic substrates, ferrites, flip chips, BGA’s, lead-free soldering, MSL, transfer molding and encapsulation, high current interconnects is a plus.
- Ability to understand/create tolerance stack-ups for assemblies to device or component level.
- Solid understanding of Design of Experiments (DOE), GD&T, SPC techniques.
- Basic understanding of statistical software tools such as Minitab. Green Belt certification is a plus.
- Appreciation for materials interactions and selections for best product designs.
- Good hands on engineering skills and previous experience working on production equipment or designing products.
- Excellent communication skills including writing and organizational skills for project management.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Vicor is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability.
Vicor endeavors to make the careers page accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Human Resources at 978-470-2900. Or email us to firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of Human Resources will be in touch with you. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
Vicor Corporation designs, manufactures and markets innovative, high performance modular power components, from bricks to semiconductor-centric solutions, to enable customers to efficiently convert and manage power from the wall plug to the point-of-load. Complementing an extensive portfolio of patented innovations in power conversion and power distribution with significant application development expertise, Vicor offers comprehensive product lines addressing a broad range of power conversion and management requirements across all power distribution architectures, including CPA, DPA, IBA, FPA and CBA. Vicor focuses on solutions for performance-critical applications in the following markets: enterprise and high performance computing, telecommunications and network infrastructure, industrial equipment and automation, vehicles and transportation and aerospace and defense electronics.Start Application